Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Journal 9- Estelle

In The Hobart Shakespearians , Ray Esquith truly believes in these kids that come from poor neighborhoods. He is a realist and doesn't hide what he feels from them. He treats them like actual human beings and encourages them like he should do. The kids reflect the teacher and in his case he was able to make these kids grow and realize they have potential. I agreed with a lot of what he had to say throughout the film. Its a shame that there are so many teachers just after the money and not actually concerned about whether or not the students are learning. They shouldn't just give up on the students who are failing. They need to find a way to try and make these kids care. Its supposed to be their jobs. I am happy for those kids who were able to have him as a teacher. He made an extremely big impact on their lives when many of those kids probably didn't have anyone else to look up to.

Throughout my younger school years I will admit I did struggle some of the time. I defiantly had some teachers that were just about the money and didn't actually care about you as a student. But, I also had two teachers I will never forget. Their names were Mr. Wolfe, and Mr. Reed. I met Mr. Wolfe when I first moved to Green in second grade. I was going through a depression from my parents divorce and didn't really care about school. I struggled with reading and paying attention. He turned that around. He took the time to get to know me and what I was going through. He encouraged me and got it to where my reading scores advanced above the whole class. I have been a reader ever since. I met Mr. Reed when I advanced to middle school. All of the kids loved him. He taught science and made sure you would understand before he moved on. When he found out I was having issues with other students he asked me to stay after class one day. He asked me what was going on and I told him. He handled it like any good teacher would and I no longer had problems with those students. He got me to come out of my shell and be involved in his class.I was able to make more friends and be a better student. Both these men loved their jobs and put everything they could into it. I was lucky to have had them as teachers because they impacted my life in such a positive way.

If you're going to have an expectation of others, then you need to be the prime example of it first. You should be able to set your goals high enough that you can reach them no matter the difficulty. Don't just give up on something or someone because its difficult. If you believe in yourself anything is possible. Like Mr. Esquith said, "Be nice, work hard".

My personal goal above all others is to finish school. I want to be able to make something out of myself and not have to depend on others. For this upcoming year I want to be able to pass my classes and fully understand what I am learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.