Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Journal 8 Estelle

In The Marlboro Marine, Blake Miller talks about life as a United States marine and what the tolls of war had on his life when he returned from Iraq. He returned home but the fight did not end. He was still fighting a war inside his head from post traumatic stress. It takes a lot for a person to pull themselves out of that state of mind. They have to fight themselves on many different levels mentally to accept what they went through. The most important thing that stood out to me was when he said one should ask, "how are you doing, are you okay?" instead of wanting to throw the returning soldier a party to celebrate. That really stood out to me because many would not think of doing that, they just want to celebrate the return of their loved one and act like they aren't a changed person. It's heartbreaking to see how much a soldier will tear themselves apart on the inside, screaming for help, yet all the words are lost when they open their mouths. Especially when Miller tried to go and talk to a Congressman about PTSD, but the selfish lowlife wouldn't give him the time of day. He fought for our country, the least he could of done would be to hear him out. 

 I think the whole video shows a very important message that we need to start taking a bigger awareness in as a society. There are so many people that look down on our soldiers because of the things they have to do or done. I feel many Americans do not appreciate who they have to stand up for them since they wont do it themselves. There's so much negativity and I believe that really needs to change. These men and women are fighting for our country, they need to be welcomed home. People need to be patient and understanding when a soldier returns home. They need to remind them how much they are loved and how it will be okay. Returning veterans should have more job opportunities compared to what they are given. They should not have to be homeless and have every door slammed in their face. I think there should be some type of organization that gives them a temporary home and a job to help them rejoin the life of being a civilian. Sort of like how so many people are on welfare when they don't need to be. That money could be going to a soldier that actually did something for our country besides get the easy way out and live off the system. Now this isn't bashing the people who actually need to be on welfare. Just the ones that abuse the system. 

In Holding On, the lifestyle they live is rather interesting. Its like a little society all in its own. I never thought about how they received the name of a hobo and being above a bum. I just always thought of them as homeless people. If I was in this situation I would try to go back to my family or friends for help. I know my family would never let me live on the streets and they would help me get back on my feet. 

2 comments:

  1. It's always a good thing to have family or even friends be your support system and to help you get back on your feet. Family is a HUGE deal to me and just like you said that your family would never let you live on the streets, I would never let my kids or even my nieces or nephews live on the street either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100% about we need to change as a society for our soldiers. I also believe that we need to work to create a more understanding society. I think sometimes we are too quick judge but no one is actually giving them a chance or even listening.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.