Monday, September 14, 2015

Journal 4- Estelle



So far my active reading is going alright. It is still strange to me to make markings in a book since I never once have done that. The most I've done is just put a bookmark in a book. Although when I highlight words, they stick out more to me and lets me remember a little bit better as to what actually happened in that chapter. Something I marked in The House on Mango Street  was, "Nobody looked up not once the day Angel Vargas learned to fly and dropped from the sky like a sugar donut just like a falling star, and exploded down to earth without even and 'Oh.' ". I marked this because it really stuck out to me that nobody cared what so ever about what happened to this girl. The way the author worded it was rather interesting and full of imaginary.

As of now I prefer to read A Long Way Gone. This is because the book is easier for me to follow. It actually has a plot and keeps you wanting to know what happens next. The House on Mango Street isn't something I would normally read. Yes, the author uses a lot of details, but it jumps around to much and I don't really understand the point of it. The theme I believe goes with A Long Way Gone is the damages of war. It is basically what the whole book is about. There are many other themes that go along in the book but I believe that is the most import one.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that The House on Mango Street jumps around a little too much. For me it's even harder to understand the full story even if I highlight and mark in the book because of how the structure is shown within the text. Marking in the book is definitely a new way to look at reading. I also agree with highlighting words in the text, it definitely helps me remember too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have never actively read before this class. By marking things them seem to stand out and I remember things better. A Long Way Gone is also the book i prefer the details and events are easier to follow. It is crazy how the war has effected these young boys lives.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.